< Back to previous page
Christine Van Broeckhoven
- Research interest:The VIB Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG)The VIB DMG has a longstanding tradition of combining expertise in molecular genetics and clinical neurology to analyze complex neurological diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. In the next years, the focus will be on increasing our understanding of the molecular aspects of neurodegenerative processes observed in diseases like neurodegenerative dementia and peripheral neuropathies with the ultimate goal to gather sufficient information to open avenues for translational research and potential therapeutic interventions.
- Keywords:HIGH-THROUGHPUT ANALYSIS, CELL LINES, STR GENOTYPING, GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY, FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS, GENOTYPING, GENETICS, SNP, Biomedical sciences (incl. biochemistry)
- Disciplines:Scientific computing, Bioinformatics and computational biology, Genetics, Systems biology, Molecular and cell biology, Public health care, Public health services
- Research techniques:Next to the fee for service expertise and techniques offered through the VIB8 - Genetic Service Facility (GSF) and the DNA diagnostic unit in the VIB8 Neurodegenerative Brain Diseases group, collaboration is possible within the latter research group for genetic epidemiology of complex diseases, neuropathology of human and mouse brain, reporter gene analysis of gene expression and generation of cellular and mouse models.
- Users of research expertise:Customers of the VIB8 - Genetic Service Facility are researchers working at Universities, Institutes or Industry; those of the DNA diagnostic unit in the VIB8 - Neurodegenerative Brain Disease group are clinicians from medical genetics and neurological centers. Academic groups are mainly molecular biology and/or functional genomics oriented groups. Our industrial customers are situated in the human and agricultural field ranging from plant breeding companies to pharmaceutical companies.