< Back to previous page
Guy Van Assche
- Keywords:Materials engineering, Chemistry (incl. biochemistry)
- Disciplines:Polymers and plastics, Polymer processing, Polymer composites, Chemical kinetics and thermodynamics, Modelling, simulation and optimisation, Heat and mass transfer, Rheology , Physical chemistry of materials, Kinetics, Phase transformations , Thermodynamics
- Users of research expertise:
- Application of advanced thermal analysis and rheological techniques for studying the structure-processing-property relations of polymers and related materials, incl. self-healing polymers, organic photovoltaics, nanocomposites,...
- Experimental studies of the kinetics of chemical and physical processes using thermal analysis, rheological and spectroscopic techniques,
- Development of kinetic models of chemical and physical processes, with a focus on the mechanistic modelling of polymerization reactions, the build-up of the macromolecular structure and the resulting changes in the visco-elastic behaviour of the material and its effect on the final material properties,
- Numerical modelling of heat transfer combined with chemical or physical processes for the development of polymer processing methods, such as photopolymerization for writing 3D structures, and advanced thermal analysis techniques, such as RheoDSC, a technique for simultaneous calorimetric and rheological measurements,
- The development of (thermo)reversible polymer networks, also called covalent adaptable networks, for self-healing and recylable elastomers and thermosets having an increased toughness, including the development of the processing of these materials using moulding and additive manufacturing apporaches.