< Back to previous page
- Research Expertise:Michel Walrave is a professor of Communication Studies and spokesperson for the research group MIOS at the University of Antwerp. His research is centered around online self-disclosure and privacy. The first part of his research concentrates on individuals’ motives of self-disclosure, as well as related opportunities (e.g., social capital) and risks (e.g., cyber dating abuse, cyberbullying). How intimate self-disclosures (e.g., sexting) and their consequences can be understood, is also one of his research topics. Along with online interpersonal self-disclosure, he investigates the reasons why consumers entrust personal data to businesses and how consumers deal with new forms of interactive marketing (such as advergames and marketing on social network sites).
- Keywords:CYBERBULLYING, DIFFUSION OF INNOVATIONS, E-MARKETING, E-GOVERNMENT, MEDIA-USE, GAMING, E-PRIVACY, ICT, Political and social sciences
- Disciplines:Animal experimental and comparative psychology , Applied psychology, Human experimental psychology, Social psychology, Communication sciences, Journalism and professional writing, Media studies, Other media and communications
- Research techniques:- Surveys - In deptht - Interviews - Focus groups - Content analysis - Experiments - Social network analysis - Delphi method
- Users of research expertise:- Government - Media - Companies - Schools - Social profit organisations