< Back to previous page
- Research Expertise:Wim Casteels has received his PhD in theoretical and computational physics with a description of impurities in a quantum gas (BEC) with the group Theory of Quantum and Complex Systems at the University of Antwerp. Afterwards he worked several years both in Paris at the Université Paris Diderot as at the University of Antwerp as a postdoc on dissipative quantum systems. More recently he decided to devote his computational and mathematical experience in the domain of artificial intelligence and machine learning. After having worked about two years at IDLab on various industrial applications (HVAC, thermal nets, chemical installations, ...) he recently became affiliated to both IDLab and the Royal Meteorological Institute as a professor. where he applies machine learning to meteorological applications.
- Keywords:METEOROLOGY, MACHINE LEARNING, NUMERICAL SIMULATIONS, DEEP LEARNING, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, Physics (incl. astronomy)
- Disciplines:Quantum physics, Computer science, Data mining, Machine learning and decision making, Statistical physics
- Research techniques:- machine learning - numerical weather predictions - statistical methods - deep learning - artificial neural networks - simulations - decision trees (random forest, gradient boosted trees, ...) - support vector machines - genetic algorithms - ...
- Users of research expertise:- energysector - traffic applications - agriculture - ...