- Gebruikers van onderzoeksexpertise:
Pierre Dorny holds a DVM (1980) and PhD (1990) degree from Ghent University (UGent), Belgium and has followed a postgraduate course (1981) in tropical animal health and husbandry at ITM, Antwerp. He is diplomate of the European Veterinary Parasitology College (EVPC) since 2003.
After working one year in private practice, he joined the faculty of Veterinary Medicine, UGent from 1983-1990 where he worked as a research assistant in the laboratory of Parasitology. His PhD research was on diagnosis and control of gastrointestinal nematodes on dairy cattle farms. From 1990-93 he worked as a parasitologist in a university collaboration research project in Malaysia on control of nematodes in small ruminants. In 1994 he worked as parasitology consultant in a USAID project on sheep production in Sumatra, Indonesia. From the end of 1994 he joined both the ITM and UGent to continue research of animal parasites. In 2000 he was appointed as lecturer veterinary helminthology at the ITM and as guest professor (20%) of tropical veterinary medicine at the UGent. He was chairman of the Department of Animal Health, ITM from 2003 until 2011. He was appointed full professor at ITM in 2008.
Besides his teaching assignments in veterinary helminthology and tropical veterinary medicine at ITM and UGent, he is head of a laboratory that conducts research on helminth zoonoses and helminth control in which several post-doc and PhD students work. The laboratory is National Reference Centre for diagnosis of trichinellosis and other parasite zoonoses.Research
- Develop more specific tools for diagnosis of taeniosis/cysticercosis, which will help to better understand transmission patterns, monitor interventions and assist in individual diagnosis and disease management.
- Study transmission dynamics of taeniosis/cysticercosis in various epidemiological situations.
- Design, implement and monitor intervention studies for control or elimination of taeniosis/cysticercosis.
- Document on the impact of foodborne parasites.
- Epidemiology of parasitic zoonoses in developing countries.
- Helminth Control in Developing Countries
- Parasitological Diagnostic Methods
- Tropical Veterinary Medicine
- Parasitic zoonoses