< Back to previous page
Joris Van Ouytsel
- Research Expertise:Dr. Joris Van Ouytsel focuses his research on the influence of digital media on romantic relationship experiences and sexuality among adolescents, from both a communication studies perspective as well as a public health perspective. He has two main research interests: 1) sexting: the exchange of self-made sexually explicit pictures and 2) cyber dating abuse: the use of digital media within romantic relationship to control, stalk or harass a romantic partner. He uses both quantitative methods (large scale longitudinal surveys; SEM and logistic regressions) as well as qualitative methods (focus group research). Joris also published studies on online self-disclosure, the use of social media, advertising literacy, and media literacy.
- Keywords:MEDIA SOCIOLOGY, DATING, SOCIAL MEDIA, SEXTING, CYBERBULLYING, ICT, PRIVACY, MEDIA AND ICT IN ORGANISATIONS AND SOCIETY, MEDIA-USE, DATING VIOLENCE, INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE, Language and literature (incl. information, documentation, library and archive sciences)
- Disciplines:Communication sciences, Journalism and professional writing, Media studies, Other media and communications
- Research techniques:Experience in conducting large scale sureys on sensitive topics with young people. Experience in analyzing data sets using SEM and logistic regressions. He also is experienced in conducting and analyzing focus group research
- Users of research expertise:Research: other researchers in the field of communication studies and public health Practice: pratcitioners such as (school) counselors, (school) psychologists, school nurses, teachers, and any professional or organization providing advice and counsel on young people's media use. The results of this research are also relevant to parents and policy makes.